Friday, November 21, 2008

THANKS day 10




Today I am thankful for my Cricket loving 4 year old. I hate the nasty little bugs that take over your home in the summers here, but she can't get enough of them. She has become skilled in the art of cricket catching and will do it with her bare hands, or should I say hand. She is so good she can catch them one handed in one try. Have you ever tried to catch a cricket? NASTY, FAST, HORRIBLE, CREEPY, AWFUL, little insects. I won't even stomp on one they creep me out that bad. I have to get a broom and beat it a few times and then quickly vacuum it. If you don't take care of the carcass quickly they come back to life you know. It could have it's guts hanging out and everything, but if you leave the room it will get up and crawl away. So today I am thankful for Natalie and her total willingness to catch crickets for me (although she won't kill them). She collects them though, which is fine as long as they don't come in the car (nothing like a loose cricket in the minivan, MAJOR safety hazard). We have little baggies of crickets all over the house that she names and treats as family (except for the bag thing). If she has to show her softer side to a bug, fine. At least she shows it. Like the time she had one between her two fingers and was rubbing it along her cheek cooing to it like it was her blankie. Sometimes though she shows her darker side with them and I find them dismembered on my table. YUCK!!! Or like yesterday when one fell apart in the baggie from too much 4 year old fun so she flushed it down the toilet and announced that "Heavenly Father will fix him and send him back to me." "You bet he will sweetie." was all I could say. Cause hey, she wouldn't know him from the next one right?

3 comments:

  1. I love that Natalie girl. I can just picture her in the corner talking so sweetly to the little cricket while she ever so carefully tears its legs off. funny girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was dying laughing. I can never get enough of the image of Nattie cooing to the little cricket as she carresses it with her cheek! I love how she uses the toilet as a spiritual portal... Heavenly Father will fix you and send you back to me... oh my gosh, that is one of the cutest and funniest things I have heard in a long time! HAha! Yes, that is something to be grateful for, your own ready and willing exterminator. :)

    ReplyDelete